ITAC PS/2 mouse-trak, connection to USB

pencil_led

ITAC PS/2 mouse-trak, connection to USB

Post by pencil_led » 06 Feb 2023 22:41

Greetings. I have aquired a model B-MPIND which is PS/2, and dated 2002 inside. It has a completely different board to the 2007 USB version (thanks to user Tactile posting on another thread here to a link to a photo) so I guess it needs at least an active adapter to work on USB. I've tried a random dual mouse & keyboard PS/2 to USB cable, no details whatsoever on it but it's active. It didn't work. XibariS on r/Trackballs has ingeniously managed to convert a very similar 2005 Professional PS/2 mouse-trak (B-5XXMP A0002) by adding a converter board based on a CSC0101A "dual PS/2 to USB Data Converter Controller. I might be up for that, but the ebayer selling the board in Germany won't ship to the UK, I expect because of Brexit. I'm resigned to using a cable adapter - anything to get the mouse-trak working! I am dimly aware that the board's controller is the basis of some of the external cables and is seen as good and it tends to work. Before I go buying a slew of cable adapters, I wonder if anyone here has any experience of using these PS/2 mouse-traks with USB and if so, any steer on cables (or boards to fit internally) would be really good to hear about. Thanks.

Archie
Site Admin

Re: ITAC PS/2 mouse-trak, connection to USB

Post by Archie » 07 Feb 2023 15:56

Hello, unfortunately none of my ITACs have PS/2 interface to check, but it looks highly unlikely to me it requires some particular adapter model to work. Are you absolutely sure the device is functional? Maybe the cable is damaged, or something like that?

pencil_led

Post by pencil_led » 07 Feb 2023 16:31

Hi, thanks for the reply. No, I'm not sure it's actually working, although the internals and the cable look in good shape. Good point nonetheless. I have ordered a startech adapter today, so fingers crossed.

pencil_led

Post by pencil_led » 11 Feb 2023 10:01

OK, it's working :D. The StarTech adapter ("usbps2pc") with the Chesen CSC0101A-S16G chip set did it - plug and play on both Windows 10 & Linux Mint XFCE. I have no idea if the first adapter I had was unusual in not working with this trackball (it worked with a PS/2 mouse I have), or if this StarTech one is unusual in working with it. Maybe most adapters have this chipset and work because of it. I will be checking any more adapters I come across just for interest.
StarTech_usbps2pc_adapter.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Archie
Site Admin

Post by Archie » 11 Feb 2023 11:34

Great, thank you for information!