Ploopy Mini

Archie
Site Admin

Ploopy Mini

Post by Archie » 11 Sep 2022 23:08

Main article about Ploopy Mini: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=133

The only thing I was not quite satisfied with this device was a design of left button. Minor thing actually, but it needs to be clicked exactly inwards. As curved shape of that button provides convenient place to rest the thumb on, the natural movement would be at some angle, i.e., slightly downwards. But the internal configuration of this 3D-printed part doesn't allow that: if pressed down, the button flexes in such a way that its upper part is moving outside - so the microswitch under it isn't actuated.

The solution is, to add some limiter preventing upper part of the button from such a travel. I've added a hook to the button, and a corresponding support for it mounted on the scrollwheel retainer:

ImageImage

ImageImage

Both parts are made from 0.2mm thick steel sheet, and attached to the Mini parts with micro-sized screws. In assembled state, the hook engages the support, preventing upper part of the button from coming farther. So, now clicking the button downward is "converted" to the movement of its lower part inside, thus pressing the switch. The modification does not affect the original sideways movement of the button.

After modding, using of Mini is even more pleasant: no more missed clicks.